Sunday 15 June 2014

Hey guys!

The weather has been great out today! Perfect for staying indoors and painting... Although I did actually spend quite a bit of time outside reading two books on painting that I got over the weekend. I took a trip to the Hobby Shack to pick up some items before it closes down on the 21st of this month, and got a pre-painted Defiler, the "How to paint Citadel Miniatures" and "How to paint Citadel Tanks" books, four new paints, twenty metal Emperors Children shoulder pads (Not taking any chances after the resin Night Lord ones!) and the mold line remover/flash brush pack. A good haul!

I'll be keeping the Emperors Children shoulder pads for a possible project down the line, but that'll be far later on. When I see niche items like that I just have to buy them!

This week we actually have quite a few images to get through, as it's been a busy week! No Fallen Angels, but I managed to highlight a Night Lord, paint up a Fallout adventurer, convert up a Warp Talon, continue to work on the Night Lords Predator, and snagged a pre-painted Defiler from the Hobby Shack in Wicklow!

First up, the Night Lord:



Pretty standard stuff as usual, but I can assure you that I fixed the blob of red paint on his backpack (Left vent) before I put him back on display...

Next up, Warp Talon Champ:



I used the Assault on Black Reach Captain for this dude. He's far from finished modelling-wise, and I might actually turn him into an Alpha Legion spy instead. 

If I go the Warp Talon route, his cloak will be tattered up and plenty of green stuff will be added all over him to show off his mutations. His story will simply be that he was a loyalist Assault Marine sergeant who was captured by the Night Lords. After being (tortured/exposed to daemon stuff/insert horrible fate here), he has become a mindless savage, much like the fluff that portrays Warp Talons! 

If I do use him as a Talon, the shoulder pads are going to be a problem though. They're too flat against the cloak, which would be hard to model correctly. That's why they'd look better on an Alpha Legionnaire, since they'd want to look loyalist. The Alpha Legion guy would be armed with a power spear (Bloodletter banner arm with a pointy tip), and would honestly look quite cool too.

Next up, Fallout:


Bogstandard adventurer from Warzone miniatures. They're cheap mini's, but they can certainly pull off the Fallout look. I didn't have the time to finish his base unfortunately!

Next, the Defiler I bought from the Hobby Shack!




He's painted quite well, although I'm not sure which his front-left pincer has a Nurgle icon on it... He struck me much more as a Khornate Defiler. Oh well, his upper-half is magnetised, so I'm delighted!

And the Predator:


This actually took a good bit of time to do on Friday night. Plenty of scrubbing with nail polish remover! I managed to separate the two sides of the tank as well, meaning that I can easily paint the interior now. I'm still thinking up of ideas on how to deal with what the interior should look like, but I'm thinking it'll look pretty much exactly like a Rhino, just filled with ammo!

Work-in-progress trophy:



Yep, this guy is having a really bad day... I wouldn't have been able to get this guy looking like his skin has been flayed off without some extra-fine sculpting tools that I bought from a local hobby store a few weeks ago. This is my first time properly using green stuff, so let me know if there are any tricks of the trade you know of!

Until next week, good luck!

2 comments:

  1. I like the last guy Marc but wouldn't like to be him lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, he's not going to be in great shape... I got the idea from here:

    http://darkfuturegaming.blogspot.ie/2013/10/it-came-from-forums-brother-heinrichs.html

    ReplyDelete